How can we help you? (FAQ)

Using DevelopTT

  • How do I register to use DevelopTT?

    For information on Applicant Registration please click here.

    For information on Approver Registration please click here.

    To access the registration tutorial, please click here.

  • What resources are available to assist me in understanding and using this system?

    General guidelines for application submission are made available on the DevelopTT platform, accompanied by tutorial videos and a detailed user manual. Additional assistance can be sought from the Customer Helpdesk by emailing

  • What is the cost of applying?

    Currently, there are NO fees for using the DevelopTT Portal. However, some Agencies charge a fee for their particular e-Service. Please refer to the following table. These fees can be paid offline and a copy of the receipt scanned and attached on DevelopTT with your relevant on-line applications.



    Commissioner of State Lands

    Non-objection to the development of State Lands (Processing Fee)


    Municipal Corporation

    Building Permit

    Subdivision Approval

    Completion Certificate

    TT$500- $2,000 dependent on the use

    TT$100- $2,000 per plot dependent on the land use

    TT$500- $2,000 depending on the land use

    *No cost at some Corporations and THA

    **The Fee schedule of each Municipal Corporation can be found here

    Water and Sewerage Authority

    Building (water supply application)

    Buildings (connection fee)

    Outline approval (supervision fee)

    Water Services (connection fee)

    Swimming Pool


    Sewer Connection Fee




    TT$187.50 per lot


    TT$150-$500 (dependent on land use)

    TT$1200-$2000 (dependent on land use)

    Environmental Management Authority

    Certificate of Environmental Clearance

    Environmental Impact Assessment



    Fire Prevention Administration (Fire Services)

    Final Inspection

    Final Approval



    Government Electrical Inspectorate Division

    Preliminary Inspection

    Final Inspection


    TT$100-$300 Small buildings

    TT$2,000-$3,000 Commercial buildings (with a generator)

    Contact information for each Municipal Corporation can be found here

  • How do I submit an application?

    To access the application submission tutorial, please click here.

  • No matches were found� Try another Keyword

Login & Password Reset

Defining Development

  • What is development?

    Development is defined by the Town and Country Planning Act, Chap. 35:01 as the carrying out of building, engineering, mining or other operation in, on, over or under any land, the making of any material change in the use of any buildings or other land, or the subdivision of any land?

  • Where can I find the Town and Country Planning Act, Chap. 35:01?

    The Act may be viewed online and downloaded at

  • Why is a Planning Permission required?

    It is required by law. The Minister with responsibility for Town and Country Planning Division, according to Town and Country Planning Act, is empowered to regulate all forms of development within Trinidad and Tobago. Therefore almost anything you do on your property requires the Town and Country Planning Division�s approval. Further information on the Planning Permitting process is available at

  • Can I subdivide my land? Is there a minimum lot size?

    A planning permit is required to subdivide land in all instances. It is recommended that you check your title to ensure there is no covenant or restriction that may prohibit subdivision.

    Lot Size
    The minimum lot size requirements will depend on where your land is located and the land use policy which applies. Generally, the minimum lot size for residential development is 464.5m2 the zone, agricultural plot sizes range from 0.4 ha to 2.0 ha.

  • Is it a problem to purchase land without Town and Country final approval?

    Yes, land subdivided without Town and Country Planning Division's (TCPD) final Planning Permission is considered an unauthorised development, which may make you subject to enforcement proceedings. Additionally, all TCPD planning permissions are conditional on the consent of the Municipal Corporation in keeping with the Municipal Corporations Act of 1990 (25:04).

    Under the Public Health Ordinance of 1940 912:04) Sections 3 to 38, it is unlawful for any land development (subdivision of lots or building construction) to occur without first obtaining the written permission of the Corporation.

  • Can I check whether a property has Planning Permission before I purchase?

    Yes. Members of the public can verify the status of the property they intend to purchase through a Status of Land submission. A Status of Land letter is a formal correspondence from the Division for a specified site stating:

    • Confirmation of the permitted land use according to the mapped policy.
    • Confirmation that the site is a legal planning unit (i.e. the plot was created by a TCPD Final Planning Permission or existed prior to 1972 as evidenced by a survey plan and deed)
    • Site planning history and any recent approvals or applications for the site.

    To view the basic details of any applications submitted for a site, you can also visit a TCPD Regional Office or the Online Applications register at .

  • What is the difference between a planning permit and a building/ subdivision permit? Do I need both?

    A planning permit is a legal document that gives permission to carry out development on a particular site.

    A Building Permit is required for most building and subdivision works. The assessment generally involves consideration of the structural integrity of buildings and structures, or the design of a subdivision and is generally assessed in accordance with the Municipal Corporations Act and the Public Health Ordinance.

    Planning Permission is required before issuing a building permit. Both are required before development works begin.

  • What do I do if I want to make a Complaint about a Breach of Planning Permission?

    If you are aware of an unauthorised development taking place, you can fill out an unauthorised development complaint form which can be found at the public counter or on our website. Navigate to the e-Services page and select Submit an Unauthorised Development Complaint. Alternatively, you can submit a complaint at any of TCPD's Regional Offices.

  • No matches were found� Try another Keyword

Before you apply for a Planning Permit

  • Do I need an architect to draw my proposed plans?

    All plans must include all the required information and must be drawn to scale. You are advised to hire an architect, or draughtsman who will ensure that your plans are drawn to a professional standard. Your survey plan must be drawn by a licensed surveyor.

    For further information about the requirements when preparing plans to be lodged, please see the Application Checklist Section.

  • Can I employ an Agent to submit an application on my behalf?

    Yes you can. Very few people go through the planning process without contracting the services of an architect, a surveyor or an agent who can deal with the application in its entirety. Alternatively, you may have someone prepare the plans/drawings for you and you may submit the application yourself. A user manual is available to you to guide you through the application process.

  • Where can I obtain a copy of a cadastral sheet?

    The Town and Country Planning Division does not reproduce maps for sale. The Cadastral sheet can be acquired at the Surveys and Mapping Division, at 118 Frederick Street, Port of Spain Trinidad [Tel. (868) 625-0427 or (868) 627-9201/4]

  • No matches were found� Try another Keyword

Application Submission

Post-Application Submission

  • How do I access my recently submitted planning applications?

    Recently submitted planning applications can be accessed by logging into the e-Services and perusing the dashboard section. Here, you will be able to track the progress of your applications and access digital permit documents. The dashboards also acts as a digital repository whereby you can access ANY of your previously submitted applications, view queries made by agencies for any date range.

  • How will I know the status of my application?

    Your application status can be tracked at any time by logging into the DevelopTT portal. The latest application status is visible on your dashboard and a more detailed summary is available by clicking on the selected application and navigating to the Decision history page. Additionally, in the processing of an application you may be notified by Town and Country Planning Division or any other agency of any further information or edits which are required.

  • If there is an error made in the submission of the application form, how will I be made aware of it?

    Each agency will notify you of any corrections required to your application by utilising the "query" function which changes to status and indicates the agency name initiating the query e.g. TCPD query. Once this is completed, the queried application becomes visible on the dashboard and a notification will be delivered to you via email or SMS. The application will then be unlocked for you to make the necessary amendments or submit the required documents to complete the application.

  • What does the "Action Required" table on the dashboard mean?

    It means that your application(s) was forwarded to all the relevant agencies for processing; however, items are outstanding which can include:

    • The completion of an agency application form and/ or
    • The upload of additional documents. The types of documentation which must be uploaded for each agency will be outlined when you open the application. These guidelines can also be found here.
  • Can I withdraw my application?

    Yes, you can withdraw any application submitted by logging into the e-Services dashboard, click the withdraw applications on the taskbar, then select the appropriate application before clicking the withdraw button.

  • What happens to my application for final planning permission after a decision is made?

    After a final decision is made on your planning permission

    • The Town and Country Planning decision letter can be printed from the DevelopTT system.
    • The approved application is forwarded to the relevant Municipal Corporation or the Public Health Unit of the Tobago House of Assembly. It should be noted that you must get a permit from the Corporation prior to starting any work.
    • Your application may also be forwarded to any other agencies from which approvals are required.
    • The applicant MUST notify the Municipal Corporation or Tobago House of Assembly of the commencement of any developmental works. Upon completion of all works, the Inspectorate conducts an inspection to ensure work was completed according to the approved plans. After a successful inspection, the Corporation/ Tobago House of Assembly will issue a Completion Certificate.

    If your application is refused you can lodge an appeal with the Advisory Town and Country Planning Panel of the Ministry of Planning and Development Further information on this process is found here.

  • How do I re-submit a revised application that has already been determined?

    After logging in you can search and select that relevant application using the search feature. You can then click on the copy application icon which will create a new application. You are then able to review and make any desired amendments prior to resubmission.

  • No matches were found� Try another Keyword


Glossary of Terms

  • Glossary of Terms

    Deciphering the jargon and understanding exactly what's being said when you are buying land or looking to develop land you already own can be difficult. This glossary is your guide for understanding common industry terms.



    A way of approaching or entering a building or site by vehicle or on foot, and the means of doing so (e.g. footpaths, roads).


    Used in relation to elderly persons or those with disabilities and the ways in which they might get to a property and move around, in or on it.


    Any sign, placard, board, notice, letter or word, model, device or representation (illuminated or not) used to advertise, announce something or give directions, including any hoarding or structure on which these are displayed.


    A person employed by an applicant to prepare and or submit their planning application. Where an agent is employed to submit an application the agent acts as the primary point of contact for the development.


    In relation to a building, includes to rebuild portions, repair, enlarge and/ or extend the building.

    Ancillary Use

    A use that is incidental or subordinate to the main use of a building or development. Essentially it is something that is of a minor, casual or subordinate nature.


    If a person believes a decision was made in error, an appeal may be filed for a review of the case. In the case of planning permissions, appeals are processed by the Advisory Town Planning Panel and decided by the Minister with responsibility for Town and Country Planning. In the case of an application for a Certificate of Environmental Clearance an appeal is heard by the Environmental Commission.


    A person(s) or company with an interest in the land and applies for planning permission. If their planning proposal is approved, the planning permission is made out in the name of the applicant.


    Brownfield Site

    Land which has been previously developed.

    Building Code

    A building code addresses national requirements for the design and construction of all types of buildings, regardless of size and complexity, which could be used to design structures ranging from small single storey buildings to skyscrapers. While a core set of requirements are detailed in the Code itself, it is normal for detailed requirements for several other areas to be contained in other Codes and Standards to be incorporated by reference in the document e.g. plumbing, electrical and mechanical prescriptions. As such, it is intended for use by design professionals, primarily architects, structural engineers, and others who are involved in designing and constructing what is referred to as "engineered structures".

    In Trinidad and Tobago the TTS 599:2006, more commonly referred to as the Small Building Guide addresses the design and construction of small buildings, usually for residential use and typically ranging from single storey to three stories.

    Building Coverage

    The amount of a plot that is covered by buildings, and it is usually expressed as the percentage of a plot covered by buildings.

    Building Operations

    Rebuilding operations, structural alterations of or additions to buildings, and other operations normally undertaken by a person carrying on business as a builder.

    Building Permit

    This is a document issued to a prospective builder with a complete set of approved plans. This document grants legal permission to begin construction of a building project.


    CAD (Computer Aided Design)

    A method of designing building systems (architectural, structural, plumbing etc) using computer software. Prior to CAD, draughtsmen, engineers and architects had to design and layout buildings and structures by hand, now most of it is done via a computer.


    A roofed structure for motor vehicle storage that has at least one side fully open to the outdoors.

    Certificate of Environmental Clearance (CEC)

    It is a Certificate issued to an applicant which certified sanctioning the environmental acceptability of a proposed activity, once all conditions contained within the CEC are fulfilled. The CEC process is a measure adopted primarily for environmental and human health protection the protection. CECs are granted by the Environmental Management Authority of Trinidad and Tobago.

    Certificate of Title

    This is a certificate that proves ownership of property under the Real Property Ordinance and is issued by the Registrar of Lands.

    Change of Use

    A change in the use of land or building(s), correctly referred to as a 'material change of use,' that is of significance for planning purposes, often requiring planning permission.

    Complex Development Facilitation Committee

    This committee reviews and makes recommendations for large and complex development proposals prior to or during the application process. This committee reports to the Ministry of Plannning and Development


    A condition associated with a Planning Permission refers to the limit or direct the manner in which development is carried out, and which serves to enhance the quality of development. The Local Authority (Municipal Corporations) ensure that all conditions of planning permission are met before building permits or subdivision permits are issued. Should these conditions be breached, enforcement action may be taken.

    Construction Permitting System

    The group of agencies and inter-agency communication, the legal steps, the formal processes, and the documents and decisions involved in regulating built and land development.


    Deed of Conveyance

    This document must be registered to show the sale of property or any such transfer of property from one person to another. This deed is covered by the Common Law.


    The carrying out of building, engineering, mining or other operations in, on, over or under land, or the making of any material change in the use of any buildings or land.


    The number of residential dwelling units per hectare of residential land. Residential density is limited by planning controls specific to a local area.



    A right to cross or otherwise use someone else's land for a specified purpose. eg: a water or sewerage easement across part of your property.

    Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)

    Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is a study which identifies and evaluates the likely environmental impacts of a proposed project or development. This takes into account inter-related socio-economic, cultural and human-health impacts, both beneficial and adverse.



    The coatings and paints that are used to protect the surface of a particular material.


    An article intended to remain permanently attached to, and form part of, a building.


    Habitable Bedroom

    Any room used or intended to be used for sleeping. This does not include bathrooms, toilets, service rooms, corridors, laundries, hallways, utility rooms or any other rooms intended to be used for cooking, living or eating.


    Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning, which can be used in buildings to maintain internal air quality, regulate internal temperatures, and regulate internal humidity.


    Internal Review Committee (IRC)

    A development control committee of the Town and Country Planning Division which discusses applications for planning permission referred by TCPD's Regional Offices at a monthly meeting chaired by a Senior Planner of the division.



    A paved area at the side of a road where a vehicle can stop for a short time without interrupting other traffic.

    Licenced Sanitary Contractor

    Contractors that are approved to perform sanitary sewer and water connections. Contractors are licenced by the Water and Sewerage Authority. For more information on LSC's in Trinidad and Tobago see

    Liquor Licence

    This is a license that allows the proprietor of a store, bar, etc, to sell alcohol. The applicant requires a no-objection from Town and Country Planning Division to use or continue to use an existing building for the purpose of alcohol sales.

    Local Area Plan

    A development document prepared in consultation with the public. Local area plans set out detailed policies and specific proposals for the development and use of land and guide most day-to-day planning decisions.


    Material Consideration

    A planning matter relevant to an application. The range of consideration for materials is very wide, but can include national policies, representations made by neighbours of the developments and development impacts.


    A type of application that relatest to the extraction of a wide range of useful material from the ground such as, metals, and stones. These substances are used widely in the building and manufacturing industries.

    Multi- family Residential

    Multifamily houses are buildings that contain separate residences. These also include buildings designed with more than one self- contained unit used by members of the same family as well as duplexes, triplexes and apartment buildings with several residential units.


    Open Space

    An open area which is designed and equipped for use and enjoyment by residents of/visitors to a community.


    Permitted Development

    Minor developments and changes between use classes which do not require a planning application as outlined under the General Permitted Development Order.

    Planning Permission

    Permission to carry out development granted under the Town and Country Planning Act by the Minister of Planning and Development, either by order or as a result of an application.


    Real Property Ordinance

    The Legislation which administers the transfer of lands bought under the registered system of property law.

    Registered Deed

    A document that proves registration of a conveyance of property found in common law property. This allows a person to give notice as to the ownership of the property. A deed must be registered and recorded in Registration House and assigned a registration number.

    Right of Way

    This is a non-possessory permission granted to an individual or a group of persons to allow the right of use over another's land.

    Road Profiles

    A drawing depicting the vertical plane section along the longitudinal centreline of the road, expressed in terms of elevation or gradient.

    Road Reserve

    The area defined by property boundaries which is reserved for carriageways, foot paths, drains and other utilities.


    Septic Tank

    An on-site holding tank for a small scaled sewage storage and treatment system that serves a home which does not have a connection to municipal sewage pipe systems.


    The distance from a road, structure, river or other stream, shore or flood plain, or any other physical feature (roads, pipelines etc.) within which building is prohibited.

    Site Development Standards

    Site development standards refer to the site planning, building and engineering standards which are applied to development proposals in an effort to achieve conformity with established land use policy, building codes and other regulations. The standards govern the intensity of commercial use, residential density, building massing, off-street parking and loading requirements.

    Spatial Planning Guidelines

    Guidance Documents which add further details to planning policies. They are used to provide further guidance for development on specific sites, or on particular issues, such as subdivisions, car parking and design.

    Structural details

    These are the load-carrying members of a structure such as a building's columns, beams and foundation.


    The division of any land, held under one ownership, into two or more parts whether for the conveyance, transfer, or partition. The process often includes setting aside land for streets, utility corridors, open space and community space.



    Intended to last or to be maintained in place for only a limited and relatively short period of time.

    Tenants in Common

    A type of joint tenancy in a property where two or more purchasers own a property in unequal shares. If one dies, his or her shares pass to his or her beneficiaries under the terms of the will. The shares can be sold without consultation of the other owners.

    Traffic Impact Study

    A study of the traffic and transport impacts of the proposed development on the site in question and the surrounding transportation system. This is typically used for developments with significant transport impacts and aids in determining the appropriate location, spacing and design of access points and appropriate improvements for safety etc.


    Unauthorised Development

    Development which has taken place without the required planning permission.

    Use Class Order

    An official schedule in the Town and Country Planning Act Chapter 35:01 which puts uses of land and buildings into various categories. Planning permission is required for changes of use between different classes.



    Relief from certain provisions of the planning policy and standards granted because of the particular physical surroundings, shape, or topographical condition of the property, where compliance would result in a particular hardship upon the owner, as distinguished from a mere inconvenience or a desire to make more money. A variance may be granted, for example, to reduce yard or setback requirements, or the number of parking or loading spaces.


    Ventilation is the process which moves outdoor air into a building or a room, and distributes the air within the building or room by natural (wind) or mechanical methods (fan). Whilst natural ventilation may be preferable, mechanical ventilation may be necessary where a building is too deep to ventilate naturally or local air quality is poor.

  • No matches were found� Try another Keyword

Help Desk

  • What Do You Need?

    1. Walk-In:
      Provide one (1) form of valid identification (Driver's Permit, National ID, Passport) and, if applicable, provide your application reference number to ensure that your query is quickly addressed. Queries on behalf of an applicant require an authorization letter along with a copy of one (1) form of valid identification (Driver's Permit, National ID, Passport) for the authorizer and the walk-in client.

    2. Telephone:
      Have your name, application reference number, email address and contact number readily available to assist in a speedy response to your query.

  • What Is The Process?

    A unique reference number will be generated for tracking and follow up of ALL customer complaints or inquiries.

    By phone/email:
    Upon submission of your query/complaint you will receive:

    1. An acknowledgement/response email which will include:
      • Confirmation of your query/complaint.
      • Summary of query/comlaint and documents submitted, if applicable, a ticket number would be provided to the customer.
      • Estimated time for further response/resolution.

    2. Further communication, by phone or email from a dedicated customer service professional, for any additional information required for successful resolution.

    3. Confirmation of resolution, the ticket will be closed and a confirmation email will be sent.
      • If unsatisfied with the resolution, a new request can be made referencing the previous ticket number.